All about Abutilon, or cable car
Cable car, or Abutilon, belongs to the family Malvaceae. Evergreen, branching shrub, up to three meters tall with maple-shaped leaves. Leaves are green, but sometimes they are found with yellow spots. It blooms from spring to autumn, but if you maintain a cool temperature in the room, it can bloom in winter. Flowers are yellow (sometimes with a reddish tinge), hanging on oblong pedicels. Unpretentious, growing fast. In nature, lives in South America.
Lighting: Abutilon is photophilous, so it is better to put it on the southern windows, but you need to make sure that direct sunlight does not fall on it.
Temperature: Loves cool air, no more than 17 degrees of heat.
Watering: During the growth period, abundant. In winter, when the plant is at rest, watering should be reduced (make sure that the earth does not dry out).
Breeding: Propagated best by seeds, but also by cuttings. Seeds germinate for 2-3 weeks (at a temperature of 22-28 degrees Celsius) after planting. And 5-6 months after sowing, they begin to bloom. Propagated by cuttings is also easy.
Pruning: Crop in the spring. The top of the head is cut off (so that the plant grows in breadth, and not in height). Side branches are also pruned, but slightly (for better flowering).
Transfer: The plant is transplanted every spring into an earthen mixture, which consists of turf, peat, leaf, humus soil and sand in equal proportions. The dishes should be quite spacious, but the roots should envelop an earthen lump (so that the plant blooms well). If it is possible to land it in the open ground for the summer, be sure to land it.
Disease: Due to temperature changes, the leaves fall off the plant.
Pests: Very often Abutilon will be attacked by aphids, whiteflies, spider mites, mealybugs. If pests are found, it is necessary to treat the leaves with a soft soapy sponge (on top of the leaf and under it). If this is a spider mite, then you should increase the humidity around the plant.
The main types of abutilon
- Mepotamsky cable car, Abutilon megapotamicum - This species is distinguished by its flowers, which are similar to red and yellow lanterns.
- Striped rope, Striped Abutilon (Abutilon striatum) - A very popular look. Its leaves are covered with small yellow stripes. The flowers are pale orange.
- Cable Car Sello, Abutilon Sello (Abutilon sellowianum) - Also a very popular look. By himself, he represents a bush, which even in a small room can reach two meters in height. Its orange flowers look like bells, which are covered with a grid of pink veins.
- Cable car suntense Abutilon suntense - A plant up to 4 meters, with huge heart-shaped leaves.
Features of care for abutilone
- It does not hibernate and continues to grow rapidly as well, so do not forget to water it.
- In summer it can calmly grow in your country house, the main thing is that it does not stand in the sun and in the draft for a long time. Growing outdoors, the plant will be less likely to be attacked by pests.
- This is rather not a feature, but a flaw. The lower leaves of abutilon very much attract various pests. You can deal with them with various chemicals.